Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Treasure Island: the first three chapters

By Andrew: a fourth grader

This story narrated by a boy named Jim Hawkins is action packed, just the way I like all my books.....

The first 3 chapters of Treasure Island were phenomenal. I liked the way the author, Robert Louis Stevenson described all the men at the Inn by using words I’ve never heard of like ‘seafaring’, ‘scuffle’ and ‘sheath’. I believe that the author used an Inn for his setting because it was a place where everyone would go to.

I was fascinated by the way he made the characters act, angry and fight with each other. Here are some ways Robert Louis Stevenson described the characters:

Jim Hawkins: worried, scared and sorrowful
Billy Bones: calls himself Captain, tottering voice
Black Dog: seafaring and suspicious. Billy Bones and Black Dog fought viciously while Jim was getting the rum. They both intended to kill each other, but neither of them got a chance.
Pew: blind, hunched and dreadful, not much description on Pew yet in the first 3 chapters

Robert Louis Stevenson used these vivid adjectives to capture my imagination. Now I think Jim will set out to be as adventurous as these pirates.

I do not know much of this author, but I can predict this author had a good career in writing and had a very successful life. I think if he was still alive, he would have made many more excellent books just like this.

The thing that mystifies me the most is the big secret. I remember Billy’s captain, Flint telling Billy the secret. I thought it was about treasure and Billy was going to tell Jim, but in the 3rd chapter, the captain died before getting a chance to. I’m also wondering what was in the blind man’s envelope. I believe it’s about the black spot because Jim knew very little about that. I hope these questions will be answered in the upcoming chapters.

While I was reading the story, I was thinking of what was going to happen to Jim Hawkins. When I got to the finale of chapter 3, I groaned with disappointment. I can't wait to read more and get out of this cliff-hanger!

3 comments:

  1. Andrew,
    I like how you use the words like cliff-hanger and vivid in your paragraph. I like the way you describe each of the characters.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fourth grader, you are a skillful writer and an "observant" reader. You also have the ability to drive people who read your book report to actually read the book.

    You are right. To read the book is the good way to learn new words. This author did have a good writing career. This book was first published in 1883 and was originally serialised in a children magazine for two years.

    Good job.I wish you keep up the good work.

    S.Wang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,
    In your entry, I really liked how you pointed out numerous predictions and adjectives that you have found in this book. I agree with S. Wang that you are a very skillful writer. I appreciate how you, along with your colleagues, really analyze and inspect the book's details along with its main objective. Thank you for providing specific words and descriptions from the text!

    ReplyDelete