Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Letter to Jeanette Ingold: Author of "Mountain Solo"

By Vanessa : a 6th grader

Dear Jeanette Ingold,
“I pulled my bow in a quick down stroke and heard a discordant tone tear out raw and wrong. That’s what I kept remembering. How once I’d played that note so badly, there was no way to get it back…” - Mountain Solo
The images and memories shone sparkled crystal clear and bright as I read the line from your book, imagining the scene, remembering the mistakes I’ve made on my own violin. There were times when I’d get frustrated when a beautiful sound didn’t come out. How I’d practice and practice until the pitch was perfect, the notes floating in the breeze. How would I know that soon I’d become one of the 6th grade’s best violin players.
I started learning about music and playing the piano when I was four, and grew passionate for the violin at age eight. Like Tessie, I wanted to do other things, such as hanging out with friends. I was not the most confident person in the class, always shy. I never really believed in myself, being unsure and unsafe in this crazy world.
As I started growing older, I had more tests, homework, violin, and piano. There didn’t seem to be time to relax, or do things like going to the movies anymore. My confidence started to lack; my heart sagged over time. Similar to Tess’s, my mom made some life decisions for me. Life was like a train, passing by so rapidly; you could hardly see it before your eyes.
Frederik, the German pioneer was a different story. Brought up by his uncle, he played the fiddle through the hard and good times. Frederik was Tess’s inspiration to pick up the violin again, like how Tess inspired me to keep going, even when things turn out wrong. The sun will always shine again tomorrow. The past is the past, and you need to focus on the future.
Tess and I learned that it’s okay to make mistakes. That finding your heart and soul from that mistake is most important. After reading Mountain Solo, I’ve felt more confident, strong, and ready to climb the mountain of life.
Thank you for writing Mountain Solo, a book that turned my world radiant, rejuvenated and full of confidence again. Mountain Solo helped me find my true self. And Tess is right. Finding your true self does take practice.
Sincerely,
V

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa,
    I thought that your journal entry for this week was beautifully executed. As a violist, I understand your frustration when it comes to intonation issues. I'm glad that you were inspired by Tess.
    Looking back at your writing, I liked your vibrant usages of imagery. They illustrated a vivid picture of your descriptions. For example, one of my favorite excerpts from your entry was when you said, "The images and memories shone sparkled crystal clear and bright as I read the line from your book...". The words, "sparkled crystal clear and bright" made me think of something pure and clear. Your usages of similes were awesome, as well. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,
    It's a really good entry. I read last year's entries that won.Yours was simuliar to one of the entries. Good luck with your entry.

    ReplyDelete