Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jim Hawkins in my View: By Eric: 6th grade

Jim Hawkins in my View

Jim Hawkins, the narrator of the story, is an interesting case. He is about twelve years old, and is not very courageous. I understand that you would need your parents since you are still a little immature, but I think Jim is a coward. He was scared by a one-legged seafaring man and drunken pirates. It showed signs of cowardice in him. Jim was in awe to the pirates (like Bill) and he wanted to be like them instead of his unexciting father. He lives in a different world than the pirates, and he wants to be one of them. I cannot imagine how you can be in awe of pirates, but not be frightened by them too.

Jim Hawkins is gullible. He gives out too much information to strangers like Black Dog. When Black Dog asked Jim where Bill was, he told him where he was and he never thought about if Black Dog was his friend or foe. He believed that Black Dog was Bill’s mate because Black Dog told him so.

I predict that in the future, Jim Hawkins will be the opposite of his father. He will not be scared of mangy old pirates or fearful ones like Long John Silver. I think that he will become a pirate because he always admired them. Jim Hawkins will live the life that he dreamed of.

2 comments:

  1. It's reasonable for a 12-year-old boy to feel discouraged, cowardly and gullible if the opponents he encounters are those worldly, blood-thirsty, seafaring pirates, but as Jim grows older, gradually he will gain knowledge in every field - and he probably won't be intimitated so easily anymore.
    I really want to know if your prediction is right or wrong - let's keep reading and find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,
    I agree with you that Jim is "an interesting case". He seems straightforward yet shy, although I can understand your views of his cowardice. I suppose that he is young and inexperienced. Jim Hawkins is faced with many challenges in life, such as the death of his own father and the peculiarities of the people around him (e.g. the Captain, Black Dog, Pew), so I can see how he could be a bit quiet and self-conscious. Your prediction that Jim will become a pirate is perfectly verisimilar... maybe it will be correct!

    ReplyDelete